Monday, August 22, 2011

Review of Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, Book 2 in the Hunger Games Series




            With the Hunger Games freshly finished, a victory tour is right around the corner.  Katniss must continue putting on show for everyone in the districts and the capitol, especially after a certain threat from the president himself.  The book takes many twists and turns, but in order to keep from spoiling the entire plot. 

            I found the second book starting off at a spot that I did not expect.  I figured it would pick up where the first left off, but was disappointed when this wasn’t the case.  Although the beginning was different than I expected, it was still very good.  Initially I found the book to be slow moving and honestly a bit boring.  A lot of time was spent on the victory tour, when I really just wanted to get to the next major event in the book.  After the book began to pick up a lot of loops were thrown in for good measure.  Many of the twists and turns were very unexpected.  In order to avoid any spoilers I wont go into much detail but the middle part of the book kind of boring, it was a ‘been there, read that’ feeling.  But I pushed through and I am glad I did, the outcome was quite unexpected. The book ended leaving a cliffhanger for the next book and I was left feeling a little less than satisfied.  Although this book is not as good as the first it is still definitely a good read. 

            I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 because it was a bit slow, but still good nonetheless.  I would most certainly recommend this book to everyone, however I would (obviously) recommend reading the first installment first, or you will be very very confused. 

Have you read Catching Fire? Tell me what you think.  Leave a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment