Monday, August 15, 2011

Review of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins




The book begins by explaining life within District 12, the main setting at the beginning of the book.  Katniss, the main character, gives the back story reasons for why life is the way it is now.  One of the main reasons for the back story is something called the reaping.  The reaping is where the entire district gathers to join in an unwanted game of chance.  Each year children from the ages of 12 – 18 have their name, separated by gender, placed into a ball.  At the reaping one male and one female is chosen to be a tribute in the Hunger Games.  The games are brutal and the story takes off from the point of the reaping.  The Hunger Games progress where survival is the way of winning.  It is an all out duel between the two tributes from each district, leaving 24 players in the arena.  In order to win you have to stay alive, but that also means killing others in order to do so. 

            This book is an epic tale of a young girl who just wants to survive.  Survive her life in District 12 which is anything but comfortable, and inevitably to survive the games.  I absolutely loved this book.  I never wanted to put it down.  I was captivated nearly every moment of the book and hung on to every word.  This is a book I would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to be entertained.  The book isn’t overly Sci-fi as one might think, but it does include some advanced technology.  But don’t let this discourage you from reading the book.  This is one that I believe anyone would love. 
           
            I would rate this book a 5 out of 5.  It is amazing!!! Literally males and females alike will love this book.  And with the movie coming out knowing the story beforehand may be a good idea. I know that was the reason why I picked up the book.  I was even skeptical at first.  But trust me when I say, you will love this read!

Have you read the book?? Tell me what you think below in the comment section. 

1 comment: